General Greek History
Greece has a very rich history. According to the findings of the archaeological sites, Greece has been inhabited since the Paleolithic Age. But more precise indications are for the period of the Neolithic era.
In general, the Greek History is divided into Ancient, Middle Ages, Modern and Contemporary.
Despite the fact that an independent state under the name of Greece was recognized in 1828, the Greek history extends beyond the geographical limits of the current state and a long period of centuries into the past. In general, the Greek history is divided into periods, usually without clear boundaries between them:
- Minoan civilization (before 3000 BC-1420 BC). Info
- Aegean civilizations (before 1600 BC). Info
- Mycenaean culture (around 1600 to 1100 BC). Info
- Dark Ages or the Geometric Period (1100-800 BC). Info
- Archaic Period (800 BC-500 BC). Info
- Classical Period (500 BC-323 BC). Info
- Hellenistic period (323-146 BC). Info
- Roman Period (146 BC-330 AD). Info
- Byzantine period (330-1453). Info
- Ottoman period (1453-1821). Info
- Modern Greece (1821- ). Info
THE PERIODS OF GREEK HISTORY
A. PREHISTORIC GREECE (2500000-1100 BC)
I. THE STONE AGE (2500000-3000 BC):
1. Stone Age (2500000-8000 BC)
a) Early Paleolithic era (2500000-200000 BC)
b) Middle Paleolithic era (200000-35000 BC)
c) Late Paleolithic Age (35000-8000 BC)
- Mesolithic period (8,000 – 6,500 BC)
3. Neolithic period (6,500 – 3,000 BC)
II. AGE OF METAL / BRONZE AGE (3000-1100 BC)
a) Cycladic civilization – Minoan civilization – Early Helladic culture (3000-2000 BC approx.)
b) Middle Cycladic culture – Middle Minoan civilization – Middle Helladic culture (2000-1580 / 1600 BC)
c) Late Cycladic culture – Late Minoan culture – Late Helladic or Mycenaean culture (1580 / 1600-1100 BC)
B. Greek History (1100 BC Dorians Descent until today):
I. ANCIENT GREEK HISTORY (1100 BC Dorians Descent – 146 BC / 31 BC / 330 AD):
1. ANCIENT GREEK HISTORY (1,100 Descent Dorian – 146 BC Allegiance mainland Greece to the Romans / or: 31 BC Subjugation Alexandria Egypt to the Romans).
a) Geometric Period(1100-700 BC)
– Geometric Period (1100-900 BC)
– Mostly Geometric period (900-700 BC)
b) Archaic period or pre-classical period (700-479 BC Battle of Plataea – Finally Persian Wars).
c) Classical period (479-323 BC Death M. Alexander).
d) post-classical or Alexandrian or Hellenistic era (323 BC-146 BC Allegiance mainland Greece in Romans or 31 BC Subjugation Hellenistic kingdom Alexandria Egypt to the Romans).
- Roman period (146 BC / or: 31 BC – 330 AD Creation of Constantinople M. Constantine / or: 485 AD the Roman Empire split into East and West by M. Theodosius ).
II. BYZANTINE HISTORY (330 AD / or: 485 AD – 1453 AD Fall of Constantinople by the Turks)
III. MODERN GREEK HISTORY (1453 AD – Present)
a) History of Turkish-Greek / Turkish occupation (1453 AD- 1821/1830 Greek Revolution / 1830: Establishment Independent Modern Greek State)
b) History of free Greece / Contemporary History (1821/1830 – today)